Why do MPI members volunteer?
In a recent survey of the MPI Ottawa Chapter’s volunteers, the following were cited as the top reasons for volunteering:
- Engagement and contributing to the success of the Chapter;
- Networking opportunities;
- Contributing skills and learning new skills.
Volunteering provides a sense of community and pride for the meetings industry. It also allows members to meet new people and develop relationships – this contributes to conducting business and learning from each other. Many of these relationships become friendships and can contribute not only to the success of business, but also to career development. Contributing skills and/or experiences, helps us build our own skills and experiences.
The MPI Ottawa Chapter has thrived for over thirty years because of the strong commitment and passion of its volunteers.
Committee Volunteer Commitment to MPI Ottawa
- Choose a committee that you can make provide skills to, while also considering your own stretch goals.
- Choose a committee that works within your schedule – don’t take on more that you can do.
- Carry out all designated tasks with professionalism and within the deadlines set.
- Ask for guidance, assistance and/or clarity on any task you have undertaken.
- Inform your committee director if you cannot fulfil a committed obligation in a timely manner.
- Offer a solution to any challenge that you bring forward and/or be open to suggestions from committee director or committee members.
- Acknowledge and respect the contributions, talents, efforts and dignity of other committee members.
Committee Director Commitment to the committee volunteer:
- Ensure that there is a role for new volunteers joining the committee before committing to the application.
- Be clear about expectations, time commitment, etc.
- Provide guidance and support to committee members.
- Acknowledge and respect the contributions, talents, efforts and dignity of other committee volunteers.
- Foster and motivate leaders within the committee and identify successors.
How to volunteer for MPI Ottawa Chapter?
- You must be an MPI Ottawa Chapter member in good standing.
- Review the committee descriptions on the website to help you determine the committee(s) that might suit your needs. From time to time, there may be a specific ‘call for volunteers’ through our various media – consider how you might be able to support that committee.
- While you think about your skill set – what you might contribute to certain committees; you should also consider what you might learn from a committee. Think about volunteering outside your comfort zone – that is when we learn the most.
- If you are not sure what committee suits your needs or what committee is looking for volunteers, don’t hesitate to contact the Director of Leadership at email@example.com.
- Finally, click on Membership and choose “volunteer now” and complete the form. Once the form is submitted, the Director of Leadership will be in touch for any clarifications and/or let you know that a confirmation will follow shortly.
- While we strive to provide the first choice committee on your list, there are times when committees are at full capacity. During those instances, the Director of Leadership will contact you if you haven’t listed a second choice.