MPI Ottawa Community Outreach and Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
Each year the MPI Ottawa Chapter contributes to local charities. Our membership assists the committee in determining the specific charities for which monies will be raised and distributed.
Charities we are currently supporting in 2018-2019
HOW WE CONTRIBUTE
- The proceeds from 50/50 draws at selected events will be divided up amongst various organizations throughout the year.
- The proceeds from the major annual fundraising event (Charity Auction Dinner) currently go to the Ottawa Network for Education’s School Breakfast Program and Hopewell.
- During the Festive Dinner event, non-perishable goods will be collected, as well as monies from the “Tape-a-Toonie” campaign, and will be given to the Ottawa Food Bank and Moisson Outaouais.
- A $2 donation is being collected from each registration and will be donated to the MPI foundation. Learn more about the MPI Foundation and how you can benefit from grants and scholarships here
- School Breakfast Program – Committee members used to regularly go into various schools in the Ottawa area to help serve breakfast but this ended at the end of the 2016-2017 school year. There may be an opportunity at some point during the 2018-2019 academic year for a few committee members to volunteer on a one-time only basis at a school selected by the Ottawa Network for Education.
- Ottawa Food Bank –Many onsite volunteer activities are in support of the Ottawa Food Bank:
- Committee members assist the Ottawa Food Bank with food sorting at the warehouse throughout the year.
- Committee members have the opportunity to take part in the CBC Project Give telethon, which takes place at the start of December in support of the Ottawa Food Bank. Volunteers participate by answering calls and taking pledges using an online system. The request for this onsite activity is typically 12 volunteers from 5-9am at the CBC headquarters…Despite the early wake up, it’s a lot of fun and so rewarding!
- The Food Sort Challenge is another great onsite activity that the Community Outreach committee participates in. This is a fast-paced corporate and community challenge, where teams of 10 compete head-to-head to see who can sort food the fastest! The cost is $1000 to enter therefore each team member would be responsible for raising $100. In 2019, the challenge will be happening on May 3rd. This is excellent visibility for our MPI Chapter and a fun experience for those who haven’t participated in the past. Read all about it here .
- The ‘end’ of the year is marked by Food Aid Day, a BBQ on the grounds of City Hall at the end of June. All proceeds benefit the Ottawa Food Bank. The request for this onsite activity is 12 volunteers to fill various roles.
- Snowsuit Fund – Committee members volunteer at the Snowsuit Fund’s warehouse by handing out warm snowsuits and accessories to those who require assistance. There are usually 3-5 dates in the months of October, November and possibly into early December. Shifts are either full (9am-4pm) or half days (12:30pm-4pm). They can accommodate 10-15 volunteers/shift.
- Kiwanis Club of Ottawa (Christmas Basket Program) – Committee members work in teams of two (they are welcome to bring a friend or family member), use their own vehicle and distribute Christmas ‘baskets’ to families in need throughout the Ottawa area. Pick-up of the baskets are usually made in the a.m. from a designated and central location and deliveries usually take a couple of hours depending on the size of the vehicle and how many baskets can be accommodated. Deliveries are made directly to the homes of the recipients and deliveries take place on a Saturday a.m. around mid-December.
- 50/50 Collection – The committee is responsible for‘recruiting’ the 50/50 sellers for the various MPI events that take place during the year from golf tournaments to galas. These are typically committee members who are attending the event and graciously offer up their time during the reception portion of the event to sell tickets.
Criteria for Charity Selection:
- Have its head office or satellite office in Ottawa
- Work to improve the quality of life for families, children or the elderly in our community
- Receive little or no support from government or from official funding agencies
- Use MPI Ottawa’s donations to make a difference within the community and in turn, make a significant impact within the organization chosen
- Be a project or foundation which supports the MPI community